North Little Rock Funeral Home was founded by Clifford and Frances Smith on Valentine’s Day in 1955. Clifford was a first-generation funeral home owner who had never worked in the business before but saw that North Little Rock was a growing community that needed more than one funeral home. After founding Farmers Cooperatives in 55 Arkansas counties and starting several businesses, he and Frances started North Little Rock’s second ever funeral home in a renovated home that used to belong to a doctor. They and their two children, John and Anne, lived in the second story of the funeral home.
Later, John and his wife Kay took over management of the funeral home in 1972, becoming the second generation of owners. Their passion and dedication to the funeral profession earned them each the “Funeral Director of the Year” award from the Arkansas funeral Directors Association in 2005. John served as the funeral home’s director until 2010, when his son Jeff and his wife Leslie purchased the funeral home. Jeff and his brother had grown up around the funeral home but hadn’t worked there until Jeff returned to manage it after leaving his career as a co-owner of a successful mortgage company. The current funeral home in North Little Rock was built in 1985 and dedicated to Clifford’s wife, Frances.
We believe that every good funeral home should be integral to its community, a goal that can’t be achieved just by being there the longest. One of our core values at Smith Family Funeral Homes is giving back to the families who make us great, and we do that by supporting first responders, veterans, caregivers and others by hosting cookouts, birthdays, and more. Our directors and other team members volunteer their time to work with the Chamber of Commerce and the Rotary Club. We also host an annual Christmas toy drive to support the Union Rescue Mission Dorcas House in their effort to care for abused women and children in the Central Arkansas area.